Welcome to Teeth at Tiong Bahru, your go-to dental clinic in Tiong Bahru for all your oral health needs. With our team of experienced dentists and orthodontists, we provide exceptional general dentistry services. In this article, we will explore the benefits and significance of onlay in dentistry.
Understanding Onlay in Dentistry
Onlays, also known as partial crowns, are a popular restorative procedure in dentistry. They are used to repair damaged or decayed teeth that may not require a full dental crown. Onlays offer an effective solution to restore both the aesthetics and functionality of your teeth.
Unlike dental fillings that are directly placed into the cavity, an onlay is fabricated outside the mouth using high-quality materials such as porcelain or composite resin. Once ready, the onlay is bonded to the tooth to provide a custom-fit and durable restoration.
The Benefits of Onlay in Dentistry
1. Preserving Natural Tooth Structure
One of the key advantages of onlays is their ability to preserve the natural tooth structure. Unlike dental crowns that require significant reduction of the tooth, onlays only cover the damaged area, allowing the healthy parts of the tooth to remain intact. This conservative approach helps maintain the strength and functionality of your tooth.
Moreover, preserving the natural tooth structure through onlay restorations also helps in preventing future oral health problems. By maintaining the integrity of your tooth, it reduces the likelihood of requiring more extensive dental treatments in the future.
2. Aesthetically Pleasing Results
When it comes to enhancing your smile, onlays offer aesthetically pleasing results. The materials used to fabricate onlays closely mimic the color and translucency of natural teeth, ensuring a seamless blend with your existing teeth. This makes onlays an ideal choice for restoring teeth in visible areas of your mouth.
With onlays, you can confidently smile, laugh, and speak without worrying about noticeable dental restorations, as they are designed to blend harmoniously with your natural teeth.
3. Durable and Long-Lasting
Onlays are known for their durability and longevity. The high-quality materials used in their fabrication make them resistant to wear and tear, allowing them to withstand the forces of biting and chewing. This means that onlays can serve you well for many years, providing a reliable and long-lasting solution for damaged or decayed teeth.
The Onlay Procedure
The process of getting an onlay typically involves the following steps:
- Diagnosis and Treatment Planning: Your dentist will thoroughly examine your tooth, taking X-rays if necessary. They will discuss the onlay procedure with you and address any concerns or questions you may have.
- Tooth Preparation: The next step involves preparing the tooth to receive the onlay. This may involve removing any decayed or damaged parts of the tooth and creating space for the onlay.
- Impression: Once the tooth is prepared, your dentist will take an impression of the tooth to create a customized onlay that fits perfectly.
- Temporary Onlay: While your permanent onlay is being fabricated in a dental laboratory, a temporary onlay will be placed to protect your tooth.
- Bonding: On your next visit, your dentist will remove the temporary onlay and bond the permanent onlay to your tooth using a strong dental adhesive. They will ensure a proper fit and make any necessary adjustments.
- Polishing and Final Touches: The final step involves polishing the onlay, removing any excess material, and ensuring it blends seamlessly with your natural teeth.
Onlays in dentistry offer numerous benefits including the preservation of natural tooth structure, aesthetically pleasing results, and long-lasting durability. At Teeth at Tiong Bahru, our experienced dentists provide top-notch onlay procedures to restore the function and beauty of your damaged teeth.
If you are experiencing tooth damage or decay, consider the advantages of onlay in dentistry. Contact Teeth at Tiong Bahru today to schedule a consultation with our skilled dentists. Take the first step towards achieving a healthy, beautiful smile!